Monster Hearts In Space
Assess the Situation
When you cast your gaze over a charged situation or interaction roll+Cold. On 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. You may spend your hold, one for one, at any point in that scene to:
- Ask the GM any one question about the situation
- Ask a question about another character in the scene
- Name your way in/around/through/out. You get +1 to get there.
- Name the most important character on the scene (your call). You get +1 on your next roll regarding them.
Turn Someone On
When you turn someone on, roll with hot. On a 10 up, take a String against them. • On a 7-9, they choose one: give themselves to you, promise something they think you want, give you a String against them.
Manipulate an NPC
When you manipulate an NPC, roll with hot. On a 10 up, they’ll do what you want if you give them a bribe, a threat, or a motive. • On a 7-9, the MC will tell you what it’ll take to get the NPC to do what you want. Do it and they will.
Shut Someone Down
When you shut someone down, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one: give them a Condition; they lose a String against you; if they held no Strings on you, gain a String on them. • On a 7-9, choose one: you each give a Condition to one another; you each lose a String on one another.
When you hold steady, in a scary or tense situation, roll with cold. On a
10 up, you keep your cool, and choose one: ask the MC a question about the situation; remove a Condition; carry 1 forward during this scene. • On a 7-9, choose: you keep your cool; pick an option from the 10 up list but also gain the Condition terrified.
Lash Out Physically
When you lash out physically against a PC, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, you deal them harm and choose one:
- the harm is great (add 1)
- you gain 1 String on them
- they need to hold steady before they can retaliate (during this scene).
On a 7-9, you harm them but choose 1:
- they gain 1 String on you
- they can deal 1 harm to you for free, if they want to;
- you become your Darkest Self.
When you attack an enemy at range, roll+Volatile. On 10+, you hit and inflict damage. On 7-9, you hit, but there is a complication (choose 1):
- You need to move, exposing yourself to danger
- You burn through ammo. Add the +reload tag (only if your weapon does not already have it)
- You only graze the target (-1 damage)
- You take some return fire. Roll the damage move.
On a miss, you may hit something important, or an ally if firing into melee.
When you engage in melee combat, take your enemy’s damage and roll+Volatile. On a hit, you inflict your damage. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:
- You demoralize your foe
- You defend yourself effectively. You’re +boosted on your damage move.
- You get in a solid blow (+1 damage)
- You achieve some tactical objective. Name it.
When you run away, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, you get away, and end up in a safe place. On a 7-9, you get away, but choose one: you cause a big scene; you run directly into something worse; the scariest person there gets a String on you.
Change The Game
When you take action despite consequences for failure, you must roll. The Stat you add depends on how you’re addressing the risk. If you’re:
Counting on your magical or supernatural skill, roll+Dark.
Counting on physical strength or endurance, roll+Volatile.
Methodically planning your course, roll+Cold.
Flashing a smile and banking on your charm, roll+Hot.
On a hit you succeed and accomplish your task. On 7-9, however, the GM chooses one:
- You expose yourself to trauma, harm, or retaliation
- You miss noticing something important
- You attract additional unwanted attention
- You have to make a hard choice, the GM will let you know what it is.
When you take physical damage from something, roll+Armor. On a 10+, you absorb or avoid the blow entirely. On a 7-9, the GM chooses 1:
- You lose your footing. -1 ongoing until you can regain it.
- You lose your grip on whatever you’re holding. Lose an item of gear.
- You lose track of someone or something you’re attending to.
- It’s a glancing blow. Take 1 less harm.
On a miss, you suffer the full brunt of the damage.